The next generation of eXpress is here.
T27 eXpress Enterprise provides the most comprehensive terminal emulation for the ClearPath MCP system. With limitless screens, custom toolbars and scripting, visual configuration and many other features, T27 eXpress Enterprise delivers a more useful and productive work environment. T27 eXpress Enterprise offers full-featured connectivity for information technology professionals and end users, alike.
T27 eXpress Enterprise integrates and replaces previous versions of eXpress Plus, Pro and Net. A single installation of eXpress Enterprise contains all the components necessary to implement eXpress Enterprise as a standalone desktop application or a centrally administered application on a Web server. A software development kit (SDK) with a mainframe communications component is included for sites needing the ability to produce customized Windows applications using Visual Studio, Visual Basic, Delphi, etc. A single installation of eXpress Enterprise will accommodate any site’s implementation requirements.
With eXpress Enterprise, access multiple screens simultaneously and configure each independently. Any screen can be customized to a particular environment. Whether the environment is a vendor-supplied resource, such as MARC, or a custom application developed in house, each screen can have its own look and functionality with personalized keyboards, toolbars, script menus and appearance.
The new eXpress Enterprise simplifies the maintenance of host connections. Each connection is maintained by a screen name selected by the user. This screen name becomes the button caption shown on the eXpress Enterprise control panel and may be color-coded for convenience. All terminal information (rows, columns, etc.) is now easily viewed or changed by screen. Enterprise maintains a pool of host connection points to which screens are linked. Possible connections include host IP addresses, Host Gateway Servers, etc. Connections may be configured with or without SSL encryption and authentication.
Enterprise comes with a completely new scripting engine allowing a choice of BasicScripts, PascalScripts or JScripts. Consequently, maintaining scripts in a language compatible with commonly used application development packages (Visual Studio, Visual Basic, Delphi and Java) offers shops the ability to standardize and simplify their development efforts.
Like the eXpress Plus product line, eXpress Enterprise includes a visual Dialog Designer that, when coupled with the scripting languages, makes an even more powerful application development tool. The Dialog Designer allows users to create object-oriented forms with controls (buttons, list boxes, etc.) that fire off Event Actions when users manipulate those controls at runtime. As with scripts, the user chooses whether to maintain the Event Actions code in Basic, Pascal or Java.
The web implementation of eXpress Enterprise is excellent for sites wanting centralized control over installation and configuration with a minimum footprint at the client level. “Zero touch” rollout means there is no install on the client PC. Furthermore, host data can be viewed or maintained via a web browser, which truly makes the mainframe portable.
Once launched from a web page, the connection to the host is direct from the PC, independent of the web browser. This implementation allows for uninterrupted connections should the web server be updated or rebooted. Furthermore, Enterprise can be rolled out with a full complement of scripts, keyboard functions or actions that are preloaded for the users.
The web implementation is for those companies where centralized convenience is key. Administrators can establish configurations globally for all users, groups of users or for each user individually. Users can have full, limited, or no permission to configure their settings. Moreover, since installation is on a web server, changes are available immediately to all users.
The Software Development Kit
The SDK component of eXpress Enterprise (WinQ, component of eXpress Enterprise SDK) contains a control that allows Windows applications to communicate with ClearPath MCP host applications. This extraordinary capability is perfect for sites that want to go beyond simple emulation, on to new Windows endeavors.
The SDK was designed specifically for programmers, technicians and developers who are accustomed to using their own programming tools such as Visual Studio™, Visual Basic™ or Delphi®, but want the added advantage of customized applications plus emulation.
What's New in eXpress Enterprise
- New scripting engine supports a choice of BasicScripts, PascalScripts or JScripts.
- Easier maintenance of screen connections
- Screens maintained by user-chosen names
- Color coded connections
- Supports key macros in addition to scripting
- Screen graphical snapshots plus viewer
- eXpress Notes for user documentation and reminders
Features Unique to the Web Implementation of T27 eXpress Enterprise
- Emulation software is centrally installed, configured and executed on a web server
- View and maintain host data via a web browser
- Host mainframe access can be via the internet from anywhere in the world
- Software and configuration updates picked up every time Enterprise is run, so changes take effect immediately
- Occupies a minimal footprint on the user PC with nothing installed
- The administrator needs only to make a single change to update all users
- Product updates and configuration changes are transparent to the user
- There is zero cost of ownership and maintenance at the client level
Software Development Kit Capabilities
- Develop application for windows or web.
- Emulation solutions preferred by programmers, technicians and developers
- Port legacy applications to windows/web without change to host programs
- eXpress Enterprise emulation plus a control for host communications in other applications
- Utilize familiar application development tools such as Visual Studio, Visual Basic™ or Delphi®
- Floating, “dockable” control panel to access screens, configuration and help
- Color coded screen buttons for easy recognition
- Screen buttons support user-selected captions
- Control panel can auto-hide and is visible only when needed
- Each screen is in a self-contained window that can be individually sized and positioned anywhere on the desktop
- Fully supports:
- IPv6 DNS Resolution
- FIPS 140-compliant cryptographic security modules (requires HGS)
- FDCC standards
- Microsoft .NET Framework
Terminal Emulation Features
- Limitless simultaneous terminal screens
- Input recall where previously transmitted text can be recalled and pasted on the screen or retransmitted directly
- Text block selection in either linear or block mode
- Screen text copy, cut and paste operations
- Multiple screen text capture, which can be saved to a text file or printed immediately
- Graphical screen snapshots plus viewer
- Screen “Send to” option, which allows a screen to be e-mailed to another user as either text or a windows bitmap file attachment
- Special diagnostic to aid in problem resolution
- Supports screen printing:
- Text only
- With delimiters
- Separate Print Manager for host-initiated printing
- Supports several additional printing options:
- Printing directly to the printer
- Bypassing windows formatting
- Printing to file
- Supports print character translation
- Supports tab and standard T27 data compression
- Supports both IPv6 and IPv4 DNS resolution
- Configuring host connections is provided by a simple visual configuration interface
Scripting (detailed information)
- Content Sensitive Scripting allows user-friendly implementation of frequently performed tasks
- A Basic, Pascal or Java script-compatible scripting language provides limitless ways to enhance terminal emulation
- Scripts may be executed from the screen’s scripts menu, by a keyboard key sequence, or by clicking a custom tool bar button
- A built-in script recorder provides the means to record a sequence of frequently used user tasks
- A syntax highlighting editor is provided for easy script development
- Dialog forms may be run using scripts and gives the users the ability to integrate windows forms with their terminal emulation screens
- User configurable color highlighting based on screen attributes such as Field, Numeric Field, Secure Video, etc.
- User configurable screen color palette
- Screen font selection which includes both fixed and proportional fonts (proportional fonts are automatically scaled to align vertically on the screen)
- Automatic font and screen scaling based on three options:
- No scaling
- Adjust the screen size to fit the font size
- Adjust the font size to fit the screen size
- Each screen can have an automatic sign-on script assigned which is executed when the screen is initially opened
- Each screen can have a custom script menu containing scripts pertinent to application accessed by the screen
- Mouse double click and right button clicks can be configured to perform a terminal transmit, open a default popup menu, or execute a specific script
- Easy-to-use visual keyboard configuration
- Multiple user configuration keyboard layoT27, each of which can be assigned to different screens
- Keys can be mapped to either terminal functions, like “Transmit”, or to execute predefined scripts
- Key scripts may be created containing any T27 key function, standard windows cut/copy/paste, text strings, text strings with user prompts, timed waits and conditional waits for string
- Key scripts may be executed from the screen’s script menu or by a keyboard key sequence
- A built-in key script recorder provides the means to record a sequence of frequently used user tasks
Custom Tool Bars
- Many custom tool bars can be created and assigned to individual screens
- Custom tool bars can be dynamically selected by script statements
- Custom tool bars may be shown at the top or bottom of the screen on a screen by screen basis
- Custom tool bar buttons can be used to start a script or a terminal key function
- Each button may include a caption, bitmap image and/or popup tool tip
- SSL Encryption is available and is FIPS 140-compliant
- All or part of the configuration can be locked so that end-users can not change certain settings
- Restricted, limited and power user groups/levels
- Any ClearPath Dorado system is accessible by T27 eXpress Enterprise. T27 eXpress Enterprise requires any currently supported release of the Windows® operating system including Windows 7 and 64-bit platforms.
T27 eXpress Enterprise Demos
T27 eXpress Press and Articles
- KMSYS Worldwide Has the Unisys ClearPath Solutions You Need!
- Securing Your Data Through Interactive Development
- Unisys Users Have a Choice
- We’re Always Finding Ways to Increase Productivity
- Renovate Green Screens to Windows and Web Applications For MCP and OS 2200
- Announcing T27 eXpress 4: Terminal Emulation You’ve Been Waiting For
- Fortify the Ramparts with Host Gateway Server (Security)
- Local Print Object
- Flexible yet Secure Authentication
Dissatisfied with their previous emulation services vendor, Viking Electric sought a new low-maintenance, unrestrictive software solution that would keep up with their escalating hardware requirements.
The problem was that NX/View, Siskin’s terminal emulation product, was no longer being supported, therefore becoming obsolete. Siskin needed to find a replacement that was cost effective, easy to configure for their 250+ users and quick to learn.
Infinity had been with version 1 since their original purchase. While the product was still a good solution, they had missed numerous feature upgrades the product has gone through.